Monday, 12 April 2010

The book The Last Lecture

Last night I settled down and made my way through the very easy ~200 pages. If you've seen both Randy's lectures then the book is really supplementary material - an alternative version containing basically the same information presented in a different medium, one which allowed more than the hour provided for the lecture.

I do believe it is best to watch the video first.

At the end of course there is a website - something I ought to have looked up earlier. thelastlecture.com contains bonus material, the full list of acknowledgements, and links to more video than I have collected here including the 10-minute version of the Last Lecture on Oprah.

One thing I especially liked about the book itself - I have the hardcover - is the way textures are done on the dustjacket. The cord itself is embossed to be slightly raised and the photo 'clipped' to the back is slightly raised and has a much smoother surface than the rest of the cover, making just holding the book a unusally tactile experience.

Two new points I took away from the book:

  • Engineering (life) isn't about perfect solutions, it's about doing the best you can with limited resources.
  • Time is like money, you get the most out of when it is explicitly managed.

No comments:

Post a Comment